Sirloin tip is a good, tasty cut of beef that you may not be familiar with. It is a round cut that is also known as the peeled knuckle. It comes from the hindquarter, or back end of the animal, and is used for walking. This makes the meat lean and not as tender as some other cuts.
It calls for careful marinading and cooking, but the results are worth the effort. The sirloin tip can be purchased as a whole roast or as steaks. We have provided you with three delicious, easy Instant Pot recipes for sirloin tip roasts. Pressure cooking retains the meat’s moisture and makes it beautifully tender.
Please let us know if you enjoy them!
Sirloin Tip Roast Pressure Cooker Recipes
1. Herb-Rubbed Sirloin Tip Pot-Roast with Vegetables
- 3-pound sirloin tip roast
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper – ground
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper – ground
- 1 teaspoon thyme – dried
- 2 teaspoons oregano – dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra for browning
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 peeled carrots
- 4 peeled potatoes, cut into quarters
- In a medium bowl, combine the kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and oregano.
- Stir in the olive oil to make a paste, spread it over the meat, and allow the meat to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Using sauté mode and a little more oil, brown the roast on all sides.
- Put the broth and Worcestershire sauce into the pot, add the roast, and seal the lid.
- Bring the cooker up to full pressure, then reduce the heat to low, maintaining full pressure.
- Cook for 45 minutes.
- Use the quick-release method and release the pressure.
- Add the carrots and potatoes. Reseal the lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Quick-release the pressure, then allow the roast to rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with the vegetables.
- Thicken the broth with a slurry of flour and water and serve with the roast.
2. Instant Pot Sirloin Tip Roast with Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 3 lb sirloin tip roast
- 1 tablespoon beef rub
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 punnet button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can Coca-Cola
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons cornflour to thicken
- Rub the beef rub spice all over the sirloin tip roast.
- Rub the Dijon mustard over the top and sides of the roast.
- Slice the mushrooms and onion.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the Instant Pot and turn it to the sauté function for 8 minutes.
- Sear the roast on the top and bottom until nicely browned, and then remove it to a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pot and add the sliced mushrooms, garlic, and onion.
- Stir until the pot shuts off.
- Add in the can of Coke and use it to deglaze the pot, scraping well to remove any brown bits from the bottom to avoid the Burn message later when the pot is coming to pressure.
- Pour in the beef stock and place the trivet rack in the pot.
- Put the meat on top of the trivet.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the handle to the sealing position, and set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook High for 60 minutes.
- Once the time is up, allow it to do a Natural Release for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn the steam release handle to the venting position.
- Remove the lid, roast, and rack from the pot. Cover the roast with foil to rest while you thicken the gravy.
- Mix the cornflour with a little cold water, add it to the pot gravy and turn the pot back to the Sauté function for 5 minutes. Keep stirring until the gravy has thickened. Taste and add seasoning if needed.
- When the gravy is ready, carve the beef and serve your meal. Serve it with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
3. Best Pot Roast Ever!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 pound sirloin tip roast, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- Season the roast well with salt and pepper.
- Turn the pressure cooker to sauté mode. When it is hot, put in the oil. Sear meat on all sides, 3-4 minutes per side until nicely browned. Remove meat from the inner pot.
- Pour in the beef stock and loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Put the roast back into the Instant Pot, along with the onion powder, garlic, and horseradish.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes per pound, adding the vegetables for the last 20 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, allow the pressure to release for 10-20 minutes.
Directions for Gravy:
- Remove the meat and vegetables and strain the leftover broth out of the inner pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté and put 2 tablespoons of butter in it.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour once the butter has melted, and then let it cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in about 2 cups of the leftover cooking liquid, whisking well until you have a gravy of the consistency you prefer.
- Let it bubble and thicken for several minutes.
- Slice the meat and serve it hot with the vegetables and gravy.