A rice cooker is an extremely handy machine. It allows you to have perfectly cooked rice every single time. All you have to do is push a button and leave the machine to do the rest.
Every rice cooker comes with an internal temperature sensor. When a person turns on the rice cooker, the water will come to a boil but it will do so a bit faster than usual. The fast boiling point is a product of an isolated environment creating pressure, thus lowering the boiling point.
Just as the internal temperature reaches 212 degrees Fahrenheit which is the boiling point at sea level. The internal temperature sensor of the device senses the change and automatically goes into the warm mode. Which then allows the rice to cook at a stable temperature.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Rice In A Rice Cooker?
Different types of rice take different amounts of time to cook. The type of rice cooker you use and the amount of water both can also affect the cooking time.
But luckily for us, we don’t have to worry about time. It’s automatically controlled. The machine will inform you because it has the tools to distinguish when a grain of rice is properly cooked.
- Ideally, 1 cup of white, long-grain rice requires 1 3/4 cups of water.
- 1 cup of white, medium-grain rice requires 1 1/2 cups of water.
- 1 cup of white, short-grain rice requires 1 1/4 cups of water.
- 1 cup of brown, long-grain rice requires 2 1/4 cups of water.
- Some rice cookers take 10 to 15 minutes and others can take up to 30 minutes or an hour to cook your rice.
Since the timings are so inconsistent throughout different machines. Each rice cooker will always come with an instruction manual. Which will inform you in detail the amount of water you need to add and the amount of time it will take to cook your rice.
But there are few tweaks you can make while cooking your rice. For example, if you don’t have Arborio rice in your cupboard and you are craving some sticky rice. You can add more water after it’s cooked and put it on another cooking cycle then shut it off midway.
Below we have detailed several steps that will allow you to cook your rice in a rice cooker:
- The first step is measuring your rice. A single person normally consumes half a cup of raw rice.
- Wash the rice if necessary. If you have cheap rice sift it then wash it.
- Measure cups of water according to the rice being cooked.
- Put your water and rice into the bucket that comes with a rice cooker.
- You can swap some chicken stock for water if you want to add more flavor to your rice.
- Close the lid.
- Plugin your rice cooker
- Hit the power button.
- If you are cooking white rice, click on the white rice option.
- Hitting the button will start a timer. Wait for it to finish.
- When your rice is cooked make sure to mix it a few times so that the rice sticking on the bottom could avoid burning.