Restaurants and take-outs tend to give such large portions that you may find yourself with leftover French fries. Or perhaps you made a batch at home and you made too many.
Whatever the reason, you know that the fries need to be stored in the fridge to save them from going bad. However, you may be wondering how long you can safely keep them there. Read on and we’ll tell you.
How Long Do French Fries Last in the Fridge?
As with most foods, the lower the temperature the fries are stored at, the longer you can keep them. Most household refrigerators operate between 1 and 4 degrees Celcius.
The coldest part is towards the back and close to the bottom. Kept here, your fries will last about 3 days.
Most household deep freezers operate at temperatures of around -18 degrees Celcius. At this temperature, you can store your fries for about 6 months.
Tips For Storing French Fries
- As soon as the fries are cool, put them into the fridge or freezer. The longer you leave them hanging around on the kitchen counter, the more chance there is for bacteria to multiply.
- Use the correct container. Do not refrigerate them in their original packaging from the restaurant. Rather, put them into a sealed fridge container.
Do You Really Want to Keep Them?
While you can keep French fries in the fridge for three days or so, the question is, do you want to? Reheated fries are never as nice as fresh as they tend to become grainy and a little like cardboard! It may be better just to toss them out and make fresh ones next time.
Is It Safe to Eat Cold French Fries?
If you are wondering whether it is safe to eat French fries that have gone cold or have been stored in the fridge for an extended period, then you should definitely avoid eating such fries. Not only can they cause certain health issues, but cold fries don’t taste good!
How to Reheat Your French Fries
While the microwave is the fastest option, it will give you a soggy, unappetizing result.
Baking the fries in the oven is another option but they can tend to dry out and become hard.
- To reheat them evenly, first, remove them from the fridge an hour before you want to reheat them. We suggest reheating them in a wok. Here’s how.
- Put a little oil in the wok and heat it over medium heat until it shimmers.
- Put the fries into the pan in a single layer.
- Toss them every few minutes until they are hot and crispy.
- Drain them on a paper towel, sprinkle them with a little salt, and enjoy them immediately.
The Bottom Line
Now you have a better idea of how long French fries will last in the fridge. Even though this mostly depends on the storage conditions it isn’t recommended to store them for too long.