Cheese is everyone’s favorite, and this is the prime reason we always have cheese lying around the fridge. However, it turns out that refrigerating cheese might not be a good idea because it can lead to the development of pink mold on cheese. In case your cheese has the same mold, we have some information that could help!
Pink Mold On Cheese
What Is Pink Mold?
There are different species of bacteria that lead to pink color when they develop. Initially, the mold growth is fuzzy when bacteria start spreading. Depending on the surroundings, pink mold might be accompanied by white mold and/or gray mold. Keep in mind that pink mold will appear in different shapes, such as pink spots or a slimy layer.
Going Into Details
When it comes down to cheese, the appearance and flavor can impact the overall quality of the cheese. Similarly, cheese is made with various microbial processes for production purposes, but it can sometimes lead to quality defects (these defects can lead to colorful molds). According to the researches, the pink mold generally develops under the rind, and the issue is most common with swiss alpine cheese and aged cheddar cheese. In addition, it can affect Italian hard cheese as well.
When pink mold is identified before shipping, the cheese manufacturers are bound to discard it. However, if pink mold develops after you buy the cheese, it’s of no mistake to manufacturers. Keep in mind that consuming cheese with pink mold can be harmful to health, especially if you struggle with previous health issues (it’s not recommended to eat such cheese at all). If you are concerned about the potential health risks associated with the consumption of cheese with pink mold, it includes;
- Infections in urinary tracts
- Infection in the respiratory tract
- Infections in bladder
For the most part, babies, elderly or senior people, and children struggle with these adverse health conditions. In addition, it must be discarded if you have a weak immune system.
Why Does Pink Mold Grow On Cheese?
To be honest, there is no clear explanation for that. This is because the pink mold can develop even if you properly refrigerate the cheese. Even more, it can start growing from the inside because various people have found the pink mold when they cut the cheese blocks (the processing defects could be one reason). In addition, cheese is a dairy product, and it has the nutrients that bacteria love. Secondly, it is suggested that you don’t store cheese for a long time because the shelf life is short.
In addition to this, you need to ensure that the fridge must not be overstocked because it hinders proper temperature flow, which makes way for mold growth.
Is It Safe To Eat Cheese With Pink Mold?
To be honest, it is not recommended to eat much cheese, but there have been various stances by people. This is because some people say that this cheese can adversely impact elders, kids, and babies, while some say that people with weak immune systems should avoid it. On the other hand, there are people who think it’s safe to eat such cheese as long as they remove the pink mold part.
According to medical experts, it is not recommended to eat cheese if it has pink mold. This is because it’s still a bacteria, and it can lead to health issues (we have already mentioned the potential health issues). Also, if you find cheese with pink mold, it must be discarded immediately. In addition to pink mold, if the cheese has red, grey, brown, green, orange, or blue mold, they aren’t safe either.
How To Avoid Pink Mold?
If you have already bought the cheese, there is nothing much you can do except discarding it. However, it is suggested to check the expiry date and manufacturing date on the cheese packet to ensure you are buying the fresh batch. Secondly, whenever you buy the cheese, make sure the container is properly sealed, and there are no damages to the seal (even the slightest cracks can give way to bacterial growth). Also, try to store cheese in the lower part because it’s the coolest area, and use it as soon as possible.