Vacuum-sealing is one of the best ways of preserving your food items for a longer period, ranging from cooked to raw and boiled food.
FoodSaver is a reliable brand offering a variety of vacuum sealing machines. These machines are designed to be used with vacuum sealer bags as they suck out moisture and air to ensure airtight preservation.
When you add food to the bags and put them under the sealing bar, the suction process will also take out food bits from the bag, which are transferred to the drip tray.
When the drip tray is filled to its maximum capacity, the vacuum sealer will stop working. So, if you want to know how to clean FoodSaver, we are sharing an in-depth guide!
How To Clean FoodSaver?
Cleaning The FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer – The Step-By-Step Guide
FoodSaver is a delicate machine, even when it’s made from stainless steel material. For this reason, you’ve to follow the step-by-step guide in this article to ensure safe and damage-free cleaning;
- First of all, you have to turn off your vacuum sealer by disconnecting the power cord. Once it’s turned off and disconnected by a power cord, you have to wait for a few minutes to let it cool down
- Access and disassemble the front of your vacuum sealer by taking it out towards yourself on both ends
- Press the release buttons to move the housing away
- Put the housing on a counter
- The next step is to remove the drip tray by raising the tabs
- Take out the bag detecting tray (you’ve to lift the tabs and make sure you don’t pull)
- Wash the trays properly with mild soap and warm water. If you have a dishwasher, you can wash on a top rack of the dishwasher
- Put the trays aside to air-dry, and once they are dried, you have to install them again
- Fasten the drip tray on the left side and a foam gasket must be properly installed into the unit’s gasket
- Lastly, just verify that the bag detecting tray is installed into the unit
Removing The Drip Tray
It’s important to clear the drip tray regularly, and ideally, you should clear it after every use. In addition, you must take out the drip tray and clear it as frequently as possible.
Removing and cleaning the drip tray is actually very simple because you only have to lift the tab on both ends and pull the drip tray towards yourself.
The drip tray can be cleaned with warm water & mild soap. You must dry the drip tray properly to make sure the vacuum sealer works properly.
Cleaning The FoodSaver Accessories
FoodSaver vacuum sealers are designed with multiple accessories and there are separate accessories that you can purchase.
So, when you are cleaning the vacuum sealer, it’s recommended that you clean the accessories as well. Usually, every accessory has a separate washing protocol, which is why we recommend that you hand-wash the accessories.
For this purpose, you have to disassemble everything and clean the compartments to ensure there is no food debris. The accessories can be washed with soapy and warm water.
The accessories must be 100% dry before you use them again.
Removing Off Smells From FoodSaver
With regular use, FoodSaver vacuum sealers can start to smell, especially because people fail to clean the leftover food or food debris properly.
In addition, the liquid can get sucked into the pump, which causes an off smell. So, to get rid of the smell, you should mix warm water & vinegar drops into a vacuum bag and seal it.
When this mixture is sucked into the pump, the smell will be removed. In particular, you’ve to follow the below-mentioned steps;
- Fill a vacuum sealing bag with water and vinegar mixture
- Put it into the trough and close the lid
- Turn it on and the mixture will get into the machine
- After a few minutes, the water will start coming out of the sealer
- Then, just turn off the vacuum sealer and take out the bag
- Now, run the vacuum sealer without the bag a few times, and the smell will be removed
The Bottom Line
Overall, FoodSaver vacuum sealers are easier to clean as long as you know how to lift the bars. In case you are confused about cleaning, just hire a professional for in-depth cleaning!