Even though extra virgin olive oil can be a bit expensive, it brings the most nutritional benefits to your popcorn and other foods. What’s more, if you’re into fitness, then extra virgin oil is a better option than processed oils.
Olive oil not only brings a unique flavor to your popcorn, but you will notice substantial health improvements too, especially if you have high cholesterol. Popcorn is a healthy snack to eat when you’re feeling peckish.
But you’ll need oil to make your popcorn pop! The best way to make tasty popcorn is in a popcorn machine. With that said, there have been many questions regarding how much oil a person should use for a popcorn machine.
If you’re also unsure about the amount of oil to add to the popcorn machine, then continue reading this post. We’ve provided information on oil to popcorn ratios and the best oils to use in your machine.
Is it Better To make Popcorn in a Popcorn Machine?
The traditional way of making popcorn is in a steel pot with a dash of oil. Another way to make popcorn is in a microwavable bag. But many people prefer to make their favorite popcorn snack in a machine because it reduces the risk of burning the popcorn.
Additionally, a popcorn machine pops most of the kernels without burning them. You can also make your popcorn in various ways such as caramelized or with various flavors. Lastly, the machine gives your popcorn more crunch especially if you add the right amount of oil to it.
How to Make Popcorn in a Popcorn Machine?
Most popcorn machines work the same way. However, your settings may differ depending on the brand and model you’ve bought. To assist you we’ve provided the following basic steps to start making your delicious popcorn snack:
- Heat the machine for 7 to 9 minutes
- Pour your preferred oil into the machine (1/4 cups)
- To test the heat throw in two to three kernels
- When the kernels pop, it’s time to throw in the rest of your popcorn
- Throw in a half a cup of kernels and then shut the lid
- When the popping stops, its time to switch your machine off
- Throw your popcorn into a clean bowl
- Season with salt or flavorings
Some popcorn machines can be left on with popcorn inside it. These machines keep your popcorn warm. But this will depend on the machine you have.
How Much Oil for Popcorn Machine?
The amount of oil you pour into a popcorn machine can vary spending on the size of the unit and the amount of popcorn you’re making. Some people simply pour about 1.6oz per half a cup of kernels.
A good rule of thumb is to use slightly more than three times as many kernels as the amount of oil you’re using. Some users prefer to stick with the 1:3 ratios of oil to kernels, while others use a bit more kernels in their machines.
Here are other factors to consider when figuring out the quantity of oil to use in your popcorn machine.
- Size of Your Machine
The size of your machine is a huge factor to help you determine how much oil to use. While using an 8 oz machine, you can rely on the use of ⅓ cups of oil per single cup of kernels. This will perfectly match the 1:3 proportions, and your popcorn will come out crispy and not drenched in oil.
Similarly, you can use ⅔ cups of oil on 2 cups of kernels while using a 16 oz machine. This should give you a good idea of how you need to manage the amount of oil in relation to the number of kernels to get the perfect crunch.
When using smaller machines, users tend to go with 1:2 proportions of oil to kernels. So, if you’re using a 4 oz or a 6 oz machine and don’t get good results with a 1:3 proportion of oil, then it’s best to add more oil to match 1:2 proportions. That way, you will have more control over the final product.
- Number of Kernels
How much oil you use will also depend on how much popcorn you want to make. The majority of users follow a 1:3 ratio. But if you want to make more popcorn then you’ll need more oil.
For example, if you’re adding 2 cups of kernels you’ll need at least 2/3 of oil so that your popcorn doesn’t come out soggy. To assist you further, here is a table that shows you how much oil to use per serving and according to the machine’s size:
|Machine Size||Oil Amount (in cups)||Kernels (in cups)||How much popcorn is made||How many people it serves|
|4oz||1/4 cup||1/2 cup||14 cups||4|
|6oz||1/4 cup||3/4 cup||21 cups||6|
|8oz||1/3 cup||1 cup||28 cups||8|
|12oz||1/2 cup||1 ½ cup||42 cups||12|
|14oz||1/2 cup||1 ¾ cup||49 cups||14|
|16oz||2/3 cup||2 cups||56 cups||16|
What Happens if You Use Too Much Oil in Your Popcorn Machine?
Some people may ask why it’s so important to use the right quantities of oil when making popcorn. Firstly, if you use too much oil your popcorn can be too oily. But if you use too little oil then the salt and spices you use won’t stick to your popcorn.
Secondly, using too much oil can result in poor popping. The kernels will roast slowly and won’t pop into fully formed popcorn. You’ll have a higher number of unpopped kernels that can also become burned.
How to Choose the Best Oil for Popcorn Machines
The purpose of oil is to make popcorn pop faster without burning the kernels. What’s more, oils are an excellent flavor enhancer but it will depend on what oil you’re using. There are other factors to consider when choosing an oil to use in your popcorn machine such as:
- Smoke point: This is the temperature that your oil will begin to smoke. Choose an oil with a higher smoke point so that the popcorn can get hot enough to pop.
- Fat content: Ideally you want an oil with healthy fats. However, if you want a healthier snack then choose an oil with lower fat content.
- Flavor: You must know which oils will affect the flavor of your popcorn. Some oils don’t add flavor at all while others will give it a strong buttery or nutty taste.
Ensure the oil you choose goes well with salt. Some oils may have an unpleasant taste as soon as you add salt to your popcorn. In this case, we recommend using peanut, flaxseed, olive or sunflower oils.
What Is the Best Oil for Popcorn Machine?
The choice of oil that you’ll be using in the popcorn machine will have a huge impact on the final flavor. This is why users go the extra mile in sourcing high-quality oil for their popcorn machines. Here is a list of oils that will enhance the flavor of your popcorn:
- Coconut oil: The most common type of oil that people use in their machines is coconut oil. This gives your popcorn more of a nutty flavor. It also has a higher smoke point. It also mimics the flavor of butter.
- Extra virgin olive oil: For those who have health conditions extra virgin olive oil is the ideal choice. This type of oil is packed with nutrients such as vitamin E and K. It also has lots of antioxidants. Furthermore, it enhances the flavor of your popcorn.
- Avocado oil: Another healthy alternative to processed oils is avocado oil. It’s packed with vitamins and it gives your popcorn a lovely buttery flavor.
- Sunflower oil: This is the most popular choice because it’s affordable and gives your popcorn a nuttier flavor. Additionally, it’s perfect for high-temperature cooking.
- Peanut oil: If you want a more caramelized popcorn taste then you’ll want to try peanut oil. It has a wonderful aroma too. It pairs well with salt so your popcorn will have the perfect balance of flavor.
Even though there is nothing wrong with experimenting with different oil options, many people have mentioned the best results with the use of coconut oil. So, if you wish to save time and need a good oil alternative for a popcorn machine, then coconut oil is the best option.
On the other hand, it all boils down to personal preferences. If you have a particular interest in other types of oil, then there is no harm in adding them to the kernels.
In a Nutshell
The type of oil you use in your popcorn machine is just as important as the quantity you use. You don’t want your popcorn to be too oily and you don’t want it to be too dry. Use this guide to help you use the right ratios of oil to popcorn in the machine you’re using.