Sometimes, I find it harder to figure out what to serve on the side of a meal than to figure out the actual meal. Sure, there are plenty of options, but they don’t always feel like the right choice. If you’re looking for a side dish too but don’t have any idea what to make, let me share a recipe that you’re definitely going to love!
This recipe is for creamed sweet peas, and it’s something that I make often with roasted chicken, meatloaf, or even steak. You can try it out too with any of these meals or something else of your choice. If I’ve gotten your attention, here’s everything you need to know about the recipe.Print
Quick Recipe For Creamed Sweet Peas
Want a side dish that’ll go great with most foods you make at home? Try this creamed sweet peas recipe that’s sure to impress you and anyone else you serve it to!
Subscribe To Email List
We create amazing recipes. Gain FREE access to Miss Vickie's special recipes.
We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Chop, Boil, and Cook
- Cuisine: American
One big reason why I like this side dish is because it doesn’t use any ingredients that are hard to find, no matter where you are. With just the few ingredients listed below, you can easily follow my recipe:
- 4 cups of water, boiled
- 2 small potatoes
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 250 ml of milk
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of green peas
I’m sure you have a lot of these things with you already.
Whether you have everything already or just came back from a little shopping trip, we can start cooking! Here are the easy steps you need to follow if you want to make creamed sweet peas at home:
- Boil Some Water: First things first, boil some water so you can start cooking. You’ll need to boil exactly 4 cups of water inside a large pot. Move on to the next step once that’s done.
- Add Potatoes and Boil: After the water is done boiling, put potatoes inside to boil as well. Cut 2 potatoes into small pieces and dump them into the boiling water. Let these sit inside for at least 7-8 minutes before doing anything else with them.
- Melt Butter: While you’re waiting for the potatoes to boil, you can keep yourself busy with melting some butter that you’ll need for the recipe. Get 2 medium slices of butter (which should turn out to be 4 tablespoons) and melt them on a pan.
- Add Flour and Mix: After the butter turns into a puddle of yellow water, you can add ¼ cups of flour inside of it. Mix this together well so that the flour completely soaks up all the butter in the pan and turns into a yellow, chalky material.
- Add Milk and Cook: When you’re done mixing the flour with the butter, you can add milk inside. Add about 250 ml of milk and mix it well with the flour. Then, just leave the pan alone so everything can cook for at least 5-7 minutes.
- Add Salt and Black Pepper: This step is pretty self-explanatory. Sprinkle salt and black pepper on top of the mixture once it’s done cooking. You can add as much of these spices as you’d like. I use only a bit of both, but you can add more if that’s how you prefer your food.
- Add Green Peas and Cook: Once the spices are in there too, the only thing left to do is adding grean peas to the mixture. Toss ½ cups of green peas inside and start stirring everything with a wooden spoon, so that the spices and other ingredients spread across evenly. When you’re satisfied with your mixing, just let the pan sit for 4-5 minutes so it can cook more.
- Add Potatoes and Serve!: Now’s the time to add the potatoes from earlier into the mixture. Just toss them all into the pan and and completely submerge them into the creamy gravy. Make sure that everything is mixed well, and then leave it all to cook for 3-4 more minutes. After that, your creamed sweet peas will be ready to serve!
- The upside is that even if you don’t have everything, a quick trip to any nearby shop should be enough for all the ingredients on this list.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 1274 Kcal
- Sugar: 21.14 g
- Sodium: 785 mg
- Fat: 52.69 g
- Saturated Fat: 32.685 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.554 g
- Trans Fat: 2.074 g
- Carbohydrates: 174.79 g
- Fiber: 21.4 g
- Protein: 30.78 g
- Cholesterol: 142 mg
Keywords: creamed sweet peas recipe